How to prevent frozen pipes in Kalamazoo, MI
February in Michigan is a time when pipes freeze. It is important to be proactive to reduce the chances of your pipes freezing and/or bursting. Here are some amazing suggestions for winterizing your pipes:
- Seal cracks in exterior walls – Find out where your service lines enter your home such as TV and internet cables, and seal up those cracks
- Add insulation to interior spaces where there is no heat– If your attic or crawl space has poor insulation, adding more could save your pipes and keep your heat bill down
- Open cabinets under sinks – Circulate air around the pipes
- Insulate the pipes – Wrap exposed pipes in heating tape or pipe insulation.
- Keep your heat on – Leave your thermostat set to at least 55 degrees.
- Open faucets – Open your faucets slightly to allow water to slowly drip from them.